Thread: 30/50 Amp Wire
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
AKat777

Default 30/50 Amp Wire

So, currently I have a regular household Standard D breaker box in my truck. A total of 5 20 amp wires connected to it (they will never all be on at the same time, but since I had the 20amp wire, that's what I wired the truck with).
I realized after I had everything set up that I had a problem. Initially I am running a 30amp 50' cord I got for cheap into the box. (Later on, when I run a 50 amp cord into the box, this problem resolves itself). But the wire going into the box will only have 1 hot wire. So that leaves me with 2 possible outcomes. Fold the #10 wire about 3 times and twist so it's wide enough for the main bus and have only half the slots energized, or use a 30 amp breaker and backfeed into the panel using the breaker. Only downside to using the backfed breaker is if someone thought the 'main' 100 amp breaker was off, there would be no power at the panel, and not realize the panel was live.

Until I get a 50amp cord (which happens to have 2 live wires, solving the issues) I was thinking the 30 amp backfeed would be easiest. Any thoughts?
AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote