Thread: LP Tank Safety
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
AKat777

I looked at the Olympian. Nice looking unit. I liked the fact that it was a true catalytic heater, and produced essentially no CO2. In the end I went with a Big Buddy from Mr Heater for a couple reasons. Primary reason, portable. Can use it in my house when the power fails. Which happens monthly lately here in Atlanta. Price did factor into it, but not much. The other reason I picked Big Buddy was size of heater (my unit on low puts out almost as much as yours on high.. 4500 on low, 9000 on medium and an insane 18000 on high.) On low it burns about 2 lbs every 10 hours. And it is rated for indoor use, has the safety features you mentioned. Shut off for low oxygen, tip over shut off, etc. So a 20 lbs tank would need to be replaced every 10-12 days. Plan on putting two underneath the truck in a box specifically for them. But that is down the road. If at all. I was planning on running electric for everything. But thats a discussion for another thread...This rig is headed to Texas and heating season is almost over there. I have a small supply of the portable 1 lb bottles that will get me there till I can plug in and run my electric space heater.
Will be installing a CO2/Propane alarm before I head back on the road in 9 days to be safe.

Edit: The reason I bothered at all with the propane heater, it's a 3 day trip to where I am headed, and I dont feel like freezing my nose off while getting there. I plan on taking my time getting there, ie, leaving after rush hour, getting my butt off the road and at a truck stop before rush hour again (and it gets crowded). I figure 6 hours a day, with a lunch break in the middle. About 300 miles a day
AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote