Thread: Toterhome build
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Highway OPie

Default Removing air-ride

Hello Conman:

First, good luck with your project; please keep us posted as to your progress!

To answer your question, yes, the air ride on the rear of the bunk can be removed so it is "solid". This would be the way to go if you are going to provide a walk-through into the Morgan box.

I have a 2003 Pete 379 which I installed a 16' Morgan box. When researching removal of the air ride, I found out the thing to use to rigid mount the bunk to the frame are hockey pucks. A local fabricator says he has done this on several conversions with good results.

As it turned out, The idea of providing a walk-through into the box from the bunk was not implemented. This is because 1> my wife didn't want it done; and 2> when we have our grand-daughters with us, having the bunk not connected to the box provided a "man-cave" area for me to escape to!

Another of my ideas was to take two 63" sleepers, and cut them apart and rejoin them back-to-back, making a sleeper which was approximately 84". I had actually started in this project, had the two sleepers cut apart and joined together (sitting on I-beams for perfect alignment) and was ready to begin the fiberglass work after having the aluminum side rails welded together. This was to be a rigid mount using hockey pucks. I decided that this additional room in the bunk was really not needed, and stopped the project and trashed the two bunks.

I would recommend using an flexible-type rubber boot between the back of your sleeper joining the front of the Morgan box. I had planned on using the aluminum frame from the one sleeper I cut-ff, and the stock Peterbilt rubber boot. Because everything was mounted to the frame, and rigid, this would have worked fine.

As it turned out, I kept the 63" stock sleeper, and I am very happy with my decision. I wanted to keep the traditional look of the tractor area of the conversion, and I am very pleased with the overall look of the vehicle as it turned out.

I am three years into my conversion, and am now working on finishing the interior of the Morgan box. Windows are in, and have started on the insulation. Wiring will follow, and the the wall covering, which I plan on using 1/2" high-grade birch 6 layer plywood.

Hope all this helps.

Speed Gray, K8SG
Grand Rapids, MI
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote