View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Don, I'm confused about how this blew out to begin with. The recepticle had 120v positive coming from the ground hole? That sounds crazy. How could that have happened?

With a good converter/charger, like what you got, it shouldn't be able to overcharge anything, should it? I wouldn't think you would need to use that battery minder. I've got an Iota 55 amp unit and that's all I use all the long MN winters for storage. I don't think it's been a problem for me.
the 30a outlet was either wired wrong or SHORTED.
the outlet had 120v on the ground and hot/blade - which gave me 240 volts.

i have an analog meter plugged into one of my 120v outlets in the coach, it was PEGGED after i plugged the coach into shore power & my Volt/Ohm meter showed 240v across the 120v outlets.

all my 120v outlets were recv'ing 240v....the converter recv'd 240v instead of 120v. i would have expected a breaker to trip or some (possible) internal over voltage protection to have "tripped" inside my converter/charger - but i only see fuses for improper battery wiring (not improper ac voltage).

MY MISTAKE -

i only checked the two BLADES on the outlet and had 126v, had i checked the ground i would have seen the ground also had 120v across it too.

a surge protector would have saved me from this ground fault/short (lesson learned). I consider myself lucky that i didnt burn anything else up (electrically or by fire).

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote