View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
#90-GTSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
Finally, with respect to balancing the truck, I understand what you're saying about front loading bias and agree 100%. However, I don't expect the gross weight to exceed 26,000 pounds in any case (though I'll weigh it when I'm done). Naturally I'm shooting for as even a distribution as I can reasonably achieve.

For example, offsetting the shower, toilet, and potable water in the forward part of the box is the 700 pound Harley in the very back (aft of the axle). I don't expect a lightly built interior wall and door to go much over 100 pounds. Added to it, a refrigerator and microwave combine for another 100 pounds also forward of the axle. However, my Honda ES6500 generator is about 350 pounds, plus 40 gallons of gasoline and a tank with mounting brackets amount to about 300 more pounds (650 total) of which both mounted aft of the axle.

Furthermore, the workbenches (two) will be aft of the axle (though they only weigh 100 pounds each it adds up). Meanhile, a Murphy bed mechanism (plus mattress) amount to maybe 200 pounds give or take, mounted forward of the drive axle. However, all in all, I don't think balance will be a huge issue.

In closing, after adding everything up, this leaves about 2500 pounds before I get to 26,000 pounds for things like a retractible awning, steps, a television, plus a few other items I'm forgetting at the moment.
What is the "ideal" front/rear balance range for a truck? I suspect that the truck engineers can provide with a range to work with.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote