View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
jbeech

Default Gravity feed potable water holding tank

Potable water holding tanks seem to always be found beneath the truck. This means using a pump to move the water around to where you need it. I'm wondering about using gravity instead. Does anybody have any experience with a water tank mounted high in the box? Will it supply adequate pressure?

For my thought experiment, I placed four load locks into the upper rails (at the forward part of the box). This resulting in a 2' deep platform the width of the box. Since I go 260 pounds and can easily hang from one load lock without any worries about it giving way I figure four of them supporting a holding tank (with the bottom being about 7' from the floor) might work out nicely. Especially because this is otherwise dead space above a toilet and shower stall.

I'm thinking 95 gallons is a sizeable potable water holding tank. This works out close enough to 800 pounds to call it. Add in for the mass of the holding tank itself and some plywood and we're at 850-900 pounds. Yes, this is a lot of mass mounted high and I may use a cable system to restrain it further but nevertheless, I don't think it will mass enough when full to present a significant roll over risk. Thoughts?

This 95 gal tank seems suitable. if you know of other, perhaps less expensive sources I would very much welcome your input. S-W2095 | 95 Gallon Rv Water Tank

Meanwhile, I've also investigated corner shower stalls from Lowes and learned 34" and 38" radii are typical. Installed beneath the four load locks leaves plenty of clearance (without feeling cramped).

Does anyone have an opinion on whether gravity supplies enough pressure when the tank is only 1/4 full? I can always install a pump but my being a KISS kind of guy by nature means I'd much rather eliminate it.
Attached Thumbnails
E-track.jpg   E-track (1).jpg   E-track (2).jpg  
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote