Thread: Confused FNG
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
J.D.

Default Confused FNG

Just joined, hoping to find some ideas, tips and/or guidance. I sold my (stationary) travel trailer this spring and haven't really missed it. Lately, I've had the bug to take on a winter project. I'm considering building a motorized toy hauler for occasional camping. It wouldn't need to be huge, just functional enough to be comfortable for a weekend or so.
I would want it to be able to carry EITHER my Full dress Harley Davidson, OR my 4 wheeler OR a golf cart. I have looked at various buses ( school & shuttle),and at cube/box trucks and even the possibility of modifying the back of a motor home.
I hate hauling a "toy hauler" trailer, esp, with only a half-ton P/U, hence the reason for building it from a motorized vehicle.
I dont wan't to spend a mint on this, but like the idea of building something myself and the uniqueness of that.
I'm leaning towards using a used U-Haul box truck becasue A.) initial cost B.) it would basically be a "blank slate" that I could build up to my own needs.
Downside is I'd prefer at least a 20" box and U-haul seems to jump from a 17' box ( actual floor length of 14.1) to 24' ( actual floor length 20'), There are seemingly plenty of the 17'ers around for under $6K. Running 24'ers are few and far between. Penske trucks are a bit out of my price range ( AND sit a bit higher to the deck height). Haven't had much luck perusing the Ryder or National sales sites.
I have moderate woodworking,design & fabricating skills. Minor electrical or plumbing skils, and nearly zero automotive mechanical skills.
Any tips, advice or warnings are appreciated and welcomed.
Sorry so windy, but the more I inform, the better the input, I'd say.
J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote