View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
90#-GTSC - the nice thing about aircraft is they're made of aluminum and absent corrosion will last an indefinite period of time. Anyway, with the updates to Sweet-E, our 50+ year old aircraft is every bit as capable as a brand new $650k version (except she seats 4 instead of 6 and thus, being lighter has similar performance on 260hp instead of 300hp - essentially the same engine, which has been bored and stroked from 470ci to 550ci). Interestingly, owning an airplane isn't the province of the 1% because an airplane like Sweet-E can be had for about what a crew cab pick up costs these days. Basically within the grasp of mere mortals.

bushpilot - LOUD has a cheap solution. Pick up a $20 automotive muffler at Autozone. Any muffler shop can adapt it for 20-50 bucks, or do it yourself if you're reasonably handy. This quiets it down to if not a whisper, at least as quiet as my Honda.
same thing i said about our coach....for not much more than a crew cab 4x4 f350 the coach makes sense (for us).

yeah they have some muffler options and i could enclose it...but i learned, during IKE...it doesnt pay for me to invest in a quiet generator when your neighbors dont care ! our stuff is still more quiet than anyone else' and the guy behind us ran his 24x7, never changed the oil, never shut it down (even when they didnt need it)....i set our behind the detach garage - guy behind us (w/ the constant running noisy pos) heard more of ours (as if he could hear it over his own) than we ever heard of our own.

the 10k north star we have uses a honda 620cc v-twin (sounds like a mini harley).....it weighs over 500 lbs iirc - hardly what i call portable (i put it on a furniture dolly).
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote