View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
jbeech

Default 7 brands of tires on my truck!

There are SEVEN different brands of tires on my truck!

I'm not sure how usual, or unusual this is, but there you have it.

Steer: 295/75R22.5
L/F is a Dunlop SP384, which is in good shape - no dry rot and good tread.
R/F is a General (Continental) S580, also in good shape.

Drive: 295/75R22.5
L/RO is a Hercules S307, also in decent shape
L/RI is a Yokohama TY577, also in decent shape
R/RO is a Goodyear G662 RSA, nearly new
R/RI is a Bridgestone M726EL, acceptable shape (and passed DOT inspection)

Drop axle: 255/70R22.5 (noticeably smaller than the others)
All 4 are BF Goodrich ST230, also in decent shape

Anyway, in discussing tires with the old commercial tire salesman at AOK Tires, he said in his experience cheap Chinese tires were safe and blowing out wasn't a concern, but he cautioned they didn't seem to last as long (obviously they sell all kinds of tires so I'm reasonably sure he was telling me the straight story). Moreover, since safety is such a paramount issue in America I thus, rather doubt Uncle Sam allows unsafe tires to be sold in the first place. Hence, I am actually (surprisingly) OK with using el cheapo tires. Especially because I'm thinking tires on my truck will dry rot LONG before I wear them out traveling lightly loaded to model airplane and helicopter events a half dozen times a year in and around the southeast.

I'm thinking to buy one additional Goodyear G662 RSA and putting these on steer, and opting for four el cheapo Chinese for the drive tires. As for the drop axle, I think I'll leave well enough alone because I seriously doubt I'll ever load the truck sufficiently to even consider using them.

Finally, I'm not in any particular hurry to do this because the tires really are OK still (else I would buy immediately). It just bothers me to see the variety, but since there's no safety issue involved, it doesn't bother me enough to move with alacrity to spend another 2500 bucks on the truck right now (instead of on the conversion). Especially because I just forked over the dough for tag and taxes when I registered the truck and changed the title from commercial to motorhome earlier today.

Thoughts?
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote