View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
rebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonslayer140 View Post
The biggest concern I have with using a conventional RV and putting it on a commercial truck chassis is most of them are very lightly built so they can be towed by a standard PU, not sure how long the structure and interior will hold up on a much rougher riding truck frame. You will also find a lot of hidden costs and materials that will add up, and quite likely by the time you buy a truck and a trailer and add up all the costs, you could get one already finished off of racing junk. I have been fighting the battle of build my own or buy a finished unit for some time, I would defiantly prefer to just buy one and be out using it, but have not been able to find one that meets my needs, and cost less than 200k lol.

Doc Weaver on this site has built him self a nice looking rig using a box truck as a starting point and finishing out the interior. Spend some time looking around on RacingJunk and some of the other web sites and you will find lots of different rigs for a good price in this economy.

Dave
Thanks. The featherlite isn't really a conventional toyhauler. Featherlite stopped making them because they couldnt sell them as cheap as the stick built toyhaulers. All aluminum welded on 16" centers. No frame.

So the floor would only be 4" over the truck frame.

The biggest obstacle would be the new rear single wheel drive axle and then reuse one of the original as a tag.

I bought the toyhauler for $8K. I figure I can find a ford 7.3 diesel 24' uhaul box truck for around $3k and scrap the box out. $
Engine rebuild/replace with turbo $5k Maybe another $5K in the rear axle.. Add on another $4k in hidden expenses and for $25K Iv got a pretty sweet ride.

Thinking out loud.
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote