Thread: Qualifications
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #20
hot rod

Blizz, I think you are on the right track. I too fear that camel nose, but I have been an advocate for a trailer endorsement (any trailer!) for a common everyday license, much like a motorcycle endorsement. Pass a simple written test, and prove you can stop it and back it up. I've seen way too many fools on the road over the years doing dangerous things that had no business pulling any sort of trailer.

Makes no sense that I need a file cabinet full of paperwork to pull my 14' "commercial trailer", but any old codger with a fat checkbook can roll down the road with a 48' fiver and no training whatsoever. My favorite scary tow story (true), several years back in downtown Nashville on the freeway, I passed a Dodge Ram 1500 (1/2 ton) with the nose pointed at the sky towing about a 36' fiver down the highway at a blistering pace of about 45 mph and swaying to beat the band. But wait, this is the good part, he had a PONTOON boat hooked to the back of the fiver! Where's a cop when you really need one?

Anyway, I am wondering if there is some organization that could spearhead such legislation? For example the NHRA to represent the 1000's of weekend racers that are affected by overzealous dot cops, or some such organization. Or I am sure the rodeo types have some sort of organization as well. I am a member of SEMA (aftermarket auto parts and accessories) and they work with all state goverments on issues concerning modified vehicles. For example a standard way to title a street rod like a replica 32 Ford. The idea is they have model legislation all drafted and ready to go, and work with their contacts in each state to try to have a common thread nationwide. I am not sure what organization could help, but it could move your idea up to a more national platform.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote