View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
hot rod

Finally getting the tools dirty on this project.

I found toterman's thread on the escapees forum where he installed his trailersaver hitch, and it was close enough to my situation to steal his ideas (thanks!) and mount 2 4" angles to the framerails to support a steel plate about halfway up the frame rails. I needed the mounting plate to be 4" below the top of the framerails for the heights to work out with my trailer. I had a local fab shop cut a 46" x 31" x 1/2" steel plate with all the mounting holes already cut in to save a bunch of drilling. Hensley supplied a drawing on their website of the mounting hole locations (14 of them) and the fab shop just programmed the holes and cut them in when they cut the plate to size. Now I just need to drill the 6 5/8" holes in each framerail to bolt the angles to the frame (not looking forward to that!) and then I'll weld the plate to the angles top and bottom.

In the meantime I had the cab painted white to match the trailer. No more Schwan's harvest gold! This rest of this weeks project is to sandblast and paint the propane tanks and frame and get that painted prior to bolting the hitch down.

Good to be doing actual work instead of planning. Hope to be towing the trailer in a couple of weeks, then figure out what to do for a downsized box.

Note: is there an easy way to add pictures?
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote