View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
hot rod

Bob- Thanks for the links to the escapees forum, I've not browsed over there for a while, I'll do some digging.

My current 15" tire size is a 225/75/15, the bigger of the 2 "standard" 15" trailer position tires, and is 28.3" tall. The Goodyear marathon trailer tire in 16" is a 235/80/16 which is 30.7" for a 7/10" change in ride height/wheelwell clearance. But I am leaning towards the Goodyear G614 235/85/16, which is a heavier tire and is 31.7" tall for a 1.2" difference in ride height/wheelwell clearance. I don't have that kind of room in the wheelwells so the axles would need to be spaced as well.

My trailer is a 40' pace race trailer with living quarters, triaxle, not an RV type fifth wheel. It was a gooseneck, and I have the fifth wheel adapter on the trailer. Not really any room for any other type of axle with the way it is built except for a heavier version of the Dexter trailer axles that it uses. Definitely can't go to a tandem without rebuilding the entire trailer, it would be easier to start over.

Volvoman- I should not have any problem with the pin clearing the crossmembers backing in. The hitch is 10" from the base to the top of the plate, and I only need to drop it a few inches between the rails, the fifth wheel itself would still be well over the frame rails. My adapter on the trailer is already adjusted up as far as it will go to get the trailer level. It seems this setup drops a little farther than on a trailer with an actual fifth wheel pin box.

The thing is I want to set the truck up to be as "standard" as possible in regards to hitch height, but still be able to tow my current trailer. I know my current trailer is an unusual setup, and don't want to match the truck to that and find I need to redo the truck if I get a different trailer, or need to hook to somebody else' trailer. The Trailer Saver has an inexpensive gooseneck adapter I'm going to buy so I can go either way if needed. It seems like most guys with similar trailers use a gooseneck. I like the fifth wheel for ease of hookup. I'm too old to crank the landing gear a hundred times to clear the ball, then let it down to level the trailer, then crank back up to hook the truck. The fifth wheel is way easier, and worth my trouble to set it up the way I want.

I figure it's easier to do my thinking on the forum, rather than with the welder. Easier to change the plan halfway through. Thank for all the ideas, keep them coming.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote