View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
hot rod

Blizz-

I've actually considered that, but for a different reason. The trailer has triple 6000# 6 lug axles and 15" tires that are just barely adequate for the load I carry (just under 18000# on the axles, and 4000# on the pin), and I have looked into replacing them with 7000# 8 lug axles and 16" tires with a heavier rating. That would require some sort of spacers between the axles and trailer frame to create some clearance for the taller tires vs. the wheelwells in the trailer. I talked to a guy here in Ohio that was in the business of converting 5th wheels campers up to 8000# axles and 17.5" tires, and they space the axles down for those taller tires. I was a little suspicious of spacers in that crucial area, but apparently they do it on heavier trailers than mine. Any thoughts on material for that?

I actually had not thought about the axle project for a while now, that was sort of a separate issue from the "toter" project, but that just might be the ticket to kill 2 birds with one stone. Even if I did it on a budget and spaced down my existing axles by 1", and gained an inch of ground clearance from the taller 16" tires, that would help my pin height by 2" and should be just what I need to mount the hitch to the top of the frame rails on the Topkick.

Any idea what the "correct" height off the ground is for a rv fifth wheel hitch? There has to be some sort of optimum range to be able to hook up the average camper and roll. I've asked a couple of local RV dealers that install hitches that question, and they look at me like I'm stupid and say "we just adjust the hitch on the trailer to fit the truck". Well there has to be some sort of ideal spec there, fifth wheel hitches only have a limited amount of adjustment on the trailer side. And I'd like to be able to pull an average fifth wheel camper with this if I want to (preferably without having to unbolt and move the entire pinbox), so I don't want to set it up where I can only pull my trailer, and the height is off for anything else.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote