View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
SparkyRnD

I agree that there really isn't much difference, but I tried with 3 separate people just to see if maybe the first two didn't know what they were doing. Unfortunately, Kraig was the third person I talked to about it, and same response as the first two, which makes me think it's based specifically on the model (S1600). Here is how the last chat went down:

sparky
11:15:47 I have a 1988 International S1600 former uhaul 26' moving van that I am looking to buy
Kraig
11:15:50 What can I help you with today?
sparky
11:16:13 I will be converting it to a toterhome, and will need insurance on it. Is that something Explorer RV can help me with?
Kraig
11:17:09 Unfortunately, we cannot insure that type of conversion
sparky
11:17:27 even if it is retitled as a motor home?
sparky
11:18:33 I ask as several people said they used you for similar conversions
Kraig
11:18:34 Because of the type of vehicle it's being converted from
Kraig
11:19:19 We have not ever done U-haul moving van conversions
sparky
11:20:29 any idea who could insure that type of conversion? And also, what is the reason for not being able to insure the S1600?
Kraig
11:21:06 The insurance companies we work with do not accept that type of conversion
sparky
11:22:08 Seems odd, as I know there are lots of Freightliner conversions for the same type of thing (using a FL60 box truck), and I would think this type would be less costly to insure, from the agency standpoint.
sparky
11:22:18 even with the same box length
sparky
11:22:27 Either way, thank you for your time this morning
Kraig
11:23:56 From an agency standpoint, I have to follow the underwriting rules of the insurance companies
sparky
11:25:12 that completely makes sense
Kraig
11:25:43 Sorry we couldn't help you out today
sparky
11:26:08 I just have trouble understanding why the various companies will insure the same truck as commercial use with much higher liability, more frequent use, but not as a toterhome with lower limits, etc. But then again, i've never understood insurance agencies
sparky
11:26:11 have a great day

Looks like for the time being, I'm going to be stuck with either Progressive or State Farm with it insured as a box truck / commercial. Once I get it all redone, and retitled as a motorhome, I will just approach it as that: I will call asking for insurance on a motorhome, and list it as an S1600 rather than listing it as a conversion.
SparkyRnD is offline   Reply With Quote