View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
hot rod

I just recently got an education on what needs a cdl and usdot numbers the hard way, and licensing as an RV will no longer let you skate the dot regs. You may get away with it for a while, but they are actively hunting these types of rigs and small trucks as the dot recently dropped their target enforcement from 26000 gvw to 10000 gvw (combined). Anything with dual wheels or towing a trailer will put you over the 10000 gvw and full dot enforcement. They nailed me with a pickup and an EMPTY 14' enclosed trailer.

While going through my ongoing process of "getting legal" I specifically asked the PUCO person (ohio's dot) about RV's, and the bottom line is ANY commercial activity with the motorhome or a trailer towed by the motorhome classifies you as commercial and every requirement that goes with it just like an 18 wheeler. Some specific examples she outlined for me would be hauling any products for sale (even small quantities), carrying tools for your business, racing and/or show cars where you get any sort of prize or compensation (even tow money, purse, or she even specifically said trophies), or even the RV itself if for example you are going to display the RV at a trade show or some such commercial activity.

So if you are doing all that to have a nice toterhome for your family, more power to you. If you want to get around the dot, it ain't happening anymore. I have pretty much stuck a pin in my own toterhome plans, and am thinking about just sticking a gooseneck hitch on my Kodiak and rolling now that I have to be "legal" anyway.

Good Luck.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote