View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
AKat777

Compared to my down and dirty industrial look, your little van is sexy, dont sell yourself short. You did an awesome job with the space you had available. I loved the cabinets over the toilet, those are nifty. But with no stealth plans on my end, I open up many more possibilities...gen outside, running large amounts of shore power, lawn chair on my liftgate (ok kidding about the last one). The only thing going into my rig that you dont have is a dinette which I can make out of a 100 bucks worth of lumber, and a kitchen countertop which I can buy for 89.00 at any local Homeless Depot or LowEmployees.

Comparing your project buy list with mine, I see you included the price of the van. So you actually spent 25k on the conversion itself, which I can see. Initially I thought you spent 40k on the conversion. And I figured you had to have gold plated faucets and a spiffy toilet that gave you a happy ending with every flush On a more serious note tho, there is no way you could convince me to spend 4700.00 on a toilet. Other items I already own. (fridge, generators,matresses,TV,laptop) so I dont spend that money. But to be fair, when pricing out the rig for insurance, I need to add that money back in, since I did spend it, just not with the conversion in mind.

Items I am not sure would include electrical. Not because I have never run wire before (I rehabbed 2 houses and built 2 from scratch solo) but because I am not 100% sure how to handle the main power panel. I will have 50 amp shore power coming in, but will I run all a/c in the interior, or dc for lights / possibly fridge.. a dc fridge is horribly expensive, I have a couple ac fridges in storage atm. And I have a hunch after I finish this truck, it will be like many other home projects, I will look at it and say do this different, do that different, and start on another truck..And will spend more and improve on the design the 2nd time around

Unlike many reading these rambling thoughts of mine, I have a fairly captive and willing audience for selling this project should I choose to. The travelling show will always have people looking to upgrade their living quarters
AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote