View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
#90-GTSC

Default Converting a diesel tank to a race fuel tank.

Many of us take our own race fuel to the track. I use quite a bit in the #90 Heilig-Meyers Ford, can save $2 or more a gallon buying off-track, and I think it will be more convenient. I've been considering that after I've bought a T/C to haul the race trailer, converting one of the diesel tanks to race fuel and putting a 12v or air powered pump on with a hose reel. The side tanks on semi's are usually what ... 100 gallons? 125? 150? I know I'll have to clean it out and probably attach some fittings to it.

Plan on putting the race fuel on the passenger side (we usually park the race car there) and leaving the driver's side the diesel tank.

I don't think the reduced range (say 100gal x 8mph= 800 mile range) will be a problem for me.

Has anyone done this? Any ideas for a pump and little hose reel?

Any downsides I haven't thought about? Anyone have a bad experience?

I crewed for an ARCA stock car team that had a race fuel tank on the tractor. A fill-in driver put diesel in it. They fueled the race car. Ran for crap. Couldn't figure it out until one of the guys touched a little fuel on the outside of the carbinator and said, "Gee! This smells like diesel." They did an engine change and cleaned out the 22 gallon fuel cell and lines!

So the race fuel tank needs to be placarded really, really well.

I notice that some fuel tanks are beneath the doors on semi tractors and some are behind the steps. What is the reason? Weight distribution? Putting the tanks under the doors leave more room behind the tanks for bays. I see under door tanks usually have steps.

Thanks for the help!

Dick
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote