Thread: Qualifications
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
#90-GTSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
But, most cops have very little working knowledge of all this stuff.
Until the cops are sitting outside the race track or horse show or campground with portable scales and a van load of "state motor carrier inspectors". Then we're all done dancin'. Get your checkbook out and call a friend with a CDL to get you home ... or at least over the next hill.

Someone in either this thread or the Kansas tragedy thread mentioned they thought that adding stiffer requirements to drive a larger motorhome would meet resistance from the "retired RVs". I would kinda expect that ... but aren't 100% sure.

Why wouldn't a retired RVer who is getting a larger motorhome NOT want to have to take a reasonable written and road test, especially if the motorhome had air brakes or was large (say 33' or more) or was going to pull a trailer over say 8,000#.

I mean come on. If they can drive the monster, they shouldn't have trouble passing a reasonable test. I agree about the money thing. But I think a $50 charge to take the test and its an additional $20 for the endorsement on your license which is good for what ... usually 5 to 8 years ... would not be unreasonable?

If they can't pass the test ... then get a smaller motorhome or travel in a car.

But ... has this been a problem? Has the Geeeezer with the 45' Prevost and 28' enclosed trailer been a problem? Or are we reacting to the unfortunate event in Kansas?

Insurance companies. Where are the insurance companies on minimum requirements for drivers of larger RVs and T/Cs? You can get a multi-engine pilots rating from the FAA, but you probably can't get insurance to fly without 100 to 250 in "type" and often 10 to 25 hours in the same model of A/C. I've seen some companies require time in model for retractable single-engine.

So apparently the insurance companies aren't providing any more than the minimum requirements for motorhomes and T/Cs.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote