View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
Dragonslayer140

Wheel base will play into it just as much as rear overhang for off pavement use. The longer you stretch a frame and extend the wheel base, the more likely you are to high center, turning radius exceeds that of a battle ship, and stress on the frame rails increases exponentially. #90-GTSC is right on about front axle weight, Class 8 trucks are designed to carry their weight centered between the rear axles, and the majority of front axle weight comes from the tractor itself. Does not take to much to overload the axle on a conversion. Heavier axles are available, but expensive, ride hard and require wider wheels and tires to carry the weight. I am trying hard to keep my design for my conversion right at around 40' with probably 8-10 feet behind the rear wheels. This should give a better ride, improve maneuverability in campgrounds and on mountain roads here in the northwest. There are some very knowledgeable folks on this site that are happy to share what they know. Good luck with your project.

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote