View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
andyg

Pretty good comments so far. We could use a little more info on your intended use/configuration. So you want and rv? or toter style with the fifthwheel or gooseneck on the back. Will you be towing .... how much? I saw that both of these were twin-screw trucks. Do you need the extra axle for weight? The additional axle is easy to remove though. I agree that you want budd wheels instead of daytons. My toter has a 9sp and is geared to run 70mph @ 1700RPM (350 Cummins). This is good hwy speed for me. I would not mind having an automatic or autoshift though. I would have built my own toter but one came along at the right price and time. It seems like starting with a cargo box could work very well and save a bunch of work. The box should be pretty tough to stand up to cargo service. Closing the unwanted openings can be tricky though. I like the mover's boxes because of the large bunk space above the cab. If you end up building the most economical and versitile way will be to buy a tractor then strectch the frame to you needed length. It is pretty tough to find a long wheelbase truck for this kind of job and stretching a short truck is not that hard to do.