View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
hot rod

I am not familiar with the way they mount, or how many, as my experience on that lies with the lowriders. I found out about the cab air bags digging through the local semi place looking for odd sized air bags for custom suspensions. Small world.

Kenn has some good pics there and brings up a good point I had not thought of. The body will need to be securely mounted to the chassis in some fashion that keeps it from moving front to back and side to side, as the air bag gives no help in keeping the body located, but must still allow it to float up and down. The solid hinges on the front of Kenn's cab keep it located while only the back floats. You'll need to fabricate something very sturdy as that moveable mount is the only thing keeping the body on the truck. And you'll need a solid stop (like the shock in the photo, when it is fully extended) that keeps the body from moving upward too far on a bump and tearing stuff up. Also, keep a good inch clearance in all directions that could rub on the bag, you'd be surprised how much those things can balloon under compression.

And the more I think here, more things come to mind. If your body can move, any connections like wiring (easy) and plumbing (maybe a little harder) must also be built to flex as well. I don't know how much of that you will have with your type of build, but something to think about.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote