View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
Dragonslayer140

Andy, for what it’s worth here is my thoughts. This is an excellent price for a split system heat pump. That said here is how it compares to the more expensive systems such as Mitsubishi, This unit has a single speed compressor, the unit is basically on or off and cooling/heating is varied by changing the fan speed. The higher price units use inverters to run a variable a speed compressor that will adjust its speed (affecting noise and power consumption) based on temperature. The lower cost units will produce significantly less heat when outdoor temp is below 40 degrees. (This may not be an issue if you have a gas furnace in addition or do not use in cold climates.). With the lower cost units you can only have one indoor unit per compressor, if you only have one room or area to heat, again not a problem, though it is nice to be able to use only one outdoor unit, to control two indoor units for living and sleeping areas. As far as installation goes, make sure you download or find out the clearances needed for the unit before you buy. Some of the outdoor units require quite a bit of clear space to function properly. If there is not enough space or airflow, compressors can overheat or the coils can ice over due to lack of air flow. Try to make sure the outdoor fan is not directly in the path of wind while driving down the road, this will cause the fan to spin faster than it’s designed to and can ruin the bearings. Remember all the mini splits are designed to be used in a stationary building not running down the road, so some additional thought must be used for securing and installation of equipment and piping. If the unit does not come with a copper line set, you will need to order that also. The units are easy enough to install and wire, however I recommend that you use a HVAC technician to connect and test the line sets, he will check for refrigerant leaks and ensure you will have trouble free service. (the unit should come pre-charged with the proper amount of refrigerant.) I think we have paid around $200-$300 to have someone connect and test the systems in the past that we have used. I cannot speak to the quality of this particular brand as I have not used them before, I have experience with Mitsubishi and Fujitsu, and I think that the mini split in general is a great system, and with their low power consumption (800 watts/ 7amps on this unit) they are perfect for RV’s, I plan on using one of the multi systems in conjunction with a diesel boiler on my next rig.

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote