View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
haddixj

what i have seen on RJ in class 8 is over 100k and they are way to long. I am looking for something that is about 32' long bumper to bumper so I can tow a 28' stacker and remain under the length limit. I have looked into MDT and they seem ok but I might as well just do a P pumped cummins like in my f350. what kinda weight do you tow with your setup? What kinda mileage? From what I read people seem to be unhappy with them. I would rather have a big truck that will get around the same mileage as a mdt and be safer. I also enjoy building stuff. From what I have seen if I did some rough calcs on 2x2 steel that was about 7k and that was .25 that I had priced out for another build, if I can do 1 1/2x thin walled which should be half the cost and build the box like a heavy duty enclosed trailer sheet the outside with plywood then skin it with AL sheet. For the interior I will get an older Class A and use all of it. That will save me on the little things inside. Generator will be used as well as inverter. I found nicer older ones for less then 8k. I will build in stages one I start the outside I wont stop until its weather tight. My main concern is what I will do for the roof. I'm not sure how much someone would charge me to do a rubber roof on it.

oh I forgot to ask what is the VHT tape? is that the butyle tape for sticking down the siding? Is it me or does that seem sketchy? I know rivets will hold. I am not into making it a show winner or anything just looking for an RV that I can take camping or tow 15k plus and not be worried when stopping or if i will make it up the hill.
haddixj is offline   Reply With Quote