View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
blizzardND

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddixj View Post
Yea I agree with trying to build it without lugging to much weight around. I have a 24' enclosed now and it only has 1" box on the sides and roof so your right 1 1/2" should be plenty with the same for the roof. I live in ca so there is no way I can make it to Indiana.y plan is to buy a class a rv and strip it for the interior, generator, inverter, windows, maybe the bathroom if it is nice. Also I will get all the tanks from the donor. I have seen decent Ones for 7k or so. So if I can get a truck for 10-12k I would be right on budget. I figure I can get it done for 30k hopefully. That will leave me 13k for building the box and any other little things I may need. I leaning towards a peterbuilt now probably pre 98 to try and avoid smog in ca. Are the older Pete's still decent on mpg? I think they went to electronic motors by 97. Seems most have a Detroit in them.
I don't mean to be a Debby Downer, but you are using the same budget that I started my build with, your VHT tape alone will cost you 1500, the little things add up so fast. I think we spent 3-4K at Menards alone. The 060 aluminum is over 110 dollars a sheet. Steel is $pendy. I figured in the beginning my 15K truck and 30K to build a 22' box. I have nearly 90K in it using many used parts from Elkhart.

But you have me hooked, what are your special requirements that there wouldn't be a similar used model for sale on Racing Junk?

blizz