View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
#90-GTSC

These details are very interesting. Whether building one's own, shopping for a used T/C, or event a factory built motorhome or trailer ... you guys are making me think about things I would not have thought about.

Regarding the studs in the outside walls. It appears everyone is using rectangular tubing. One of the posters talked about moisture and condensation which is an important concern. Is anyone using or has anyone considered using channel (same dimension and gauage) vs rectangular tubing for the studs and even the floor and roof? Less weight, one less piece of steel to transmit cold (and contribute to the condensation problem), and more cavities opened up for foam insulation. Added benefits would be probably cheaper, easier to route plumbing and wiring.

I'm not an engineer. I don't know if using channel versus rectangular tubing results in a woefully inadequate structure ... or if using as much steel as is used and welding (and/or securely bolting) everything on top of a Class 8 chassis to begin with is more than adequate.

Looking forward to the comments and debate.

Dick
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote