View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Dragonslayer140

Jason, My plan is to use 4" structural C channel for the two main rails and for the perimeter of the floor. 4" structural channel crossmembers will be coped in at 8 foot centers along the floor, 4" light 11ga gauge channel joists at 16" centers will infill between the heavy crossmembers. With the floor upside down, I will sheet the whole underside with the 26ga galv. using VHB tape and either Tek screws or Hilti fasteners as a secondary fastening method. Then will flip the floor back over and put on the truck frame. Before floor is installed onto truck I will build the basement storage, and skirting much the same way as Kenn has on his project. All of the partition walls in the storage compartments will be diagonally braced and will have removable cross braces underneath (so i can service the drivelines and running gear when needed.) These will help to transfer some of the forces from the weight of the walls and roof load back to the frame reducing loads on the floor joists. Then I can frame the walls flat on the floor deck and stand them into place much as you would when building a house. the roof will be framed last on top of the deck using the walls as a template to keep it square and the correct size, then hoisted up into place and welded. After that I can spray foam the floor joist cavities and install my plywood sub floor. I am choosing channel for the roof and floor joists because its open side allows for the spray foam to fill the void and create less cold pockets, also cheaper..lol. trying to use diagonal bracing and lighter materials to reduce weight and still retain the needed strength. I will be doing all my building out in the weather unless i get lucky and find a good deal on shop space to rent until the rig is water tight.
Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote