View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
#90-GTSC

Default Bluebird lawsuit

I don't understand why companies like Bluebird which had a pretty good reputation would nickel and dime on something as simple at tie-rod ends. How much more per coach would have "the right" tie-rods have been? $100 a coach? $500 a coach? Chump change when you think those top of the line coach went for between $500,000 and a million dollars. Its bad enough when they think they are building strong enough, and in actual use it doesn't hold up. But for the staff to know that the tie-rods weren't up to the task, that is downright criminal.

What are companies SO stupid?

I road race a 3400# NASCAR stock car that I haul around in a 24' enclosed trailer with equipment, tools, tires, fuel, and a big generator. I suspect I'm 10,500 or 11,000 fully loaded. I pull it with half ton Suburban, wish I had a three-quarter ton Suburban or 2500HD pickup. I don't run 80mph nor do I go cross country; put I'd like to. When I got into racing in 2005 I wanted a Tahoe and 24' trailer ... but the truck/car/trailer dealer refused to sell me a Tahoe to pull a large trailer with a heavy race car. He said the trailer would push the short wheelbase Tahoe all over the road. I'm glad he "forced" me into the Suburban.

I thought about buying a motorhome on a 3500 or F-350 chassis to pull the trailer with until we rented one in Florida and I drove from Orlando to Sebring and back. NO trailer. Just the two of us, minimal luggage, full of water and propane. I thought ... I would NOT drive this 30 miles with the trailer on back, especially if I had four or five more people in the MH. But I see guys from time to time at the track with that MH on a one ton chassis pulling a 24 to 28 foot race trailer.

This forum and my recent Florida experience have convinced me that a T/C or a Class A (Prevost?) is the way to go; which is why my signature says what it says!
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote