Thread: Always Learning
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
hot rod

We are in northern Ohio, and they always have oversalted the roads, and the new liquid de-icer they started using is even harder on vehicles than the old stuff. The salt worries me on the rig as well. My gooseneck/living quarters trailer does not go out in the winter, I have a smaller older trailer we use for our few winter shows that I really don't care about. A few years back when that trailer was a little nicer than it is now, I did a show in Birmingham in February and had basically blizzard all the way from the AL line to home in Youngstown, OH, and then the trailer was parked outside until we thawed out in the spring before I had a chance to get it a good wash. The damage to the aluminum and trim was unbelievable from the salt sitting on itm as well as some of the painted steel frame etc.. Now my habit on the good trailer is that when we get back in from the road for the last trip of the year, it gets a good wash at the truck wash before it gets put away. I go to the local joint around midnite when they are all sitting around bored and throw the crew an extra $20 up front and tell them I need every nook and cranny, underneath and on top blasted off and a good brush, brightener and wash. The cool thing is they are usually so happy about the upfront $20 tip they have always charged me less at the cash register and I usually get out cheaper with a better wash. Truckers must be pretty cheap on the tips, because my $20 has always got the crew cracking. I do the same thing in mid-summer and the trailer still looks brand new for 10 years old. Other guys say to never let them use the brightener, but the trick is to make sure they are rinsing immediately so it does not sit and whiten the aluminum. I've never had any damage, but I do worry a little when they are blasting around the openings like the refrigerator. Always worked good for me.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote