View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
LesReiselt

Default Insurance Quagmire

Insurance has proven to be our most difficult issue yet but at last is settled and at a reasonable price. We have just bought an International 4300 with the DT 466 engine and 6 speed Eaton-Fuller and a 102" x 26 ft box. Finding insurance has indeed been a task. We first called AAA with whom we have all our other vehicles and our home and were told that they don't do larger than pick-ups and so began our search. RV America, GMAC, Progresssive and others all came up as possibles both online and also as referred by a growing list of agents both locally and at 800 numbers. Several told us to lie and say that the truck was to be used commercially just to get insurance. As a retired police detective I would tell anyone that this is very, very bad advise. Insurance fraud is not a minor offense and being charged with it will really spoil your day. State Farm, e-Surance, plus some locals all gave the same answer, "they didn't have a category for a medium duty truck used for non business purposes." To illustrate just how poorly informed some were, one agent asked if my International 4300 was "something like an F-350."
At last after the better part of 2 days research, I found a web site for The Explorer RV Insurance Agency. They weren't concerned with the box size or even if it had one, they simply said " yes we insure lots of otherwise commercial type vehicles for personal use." Within minutes, I had a quote
and at a good price and it is full coverage, not the liability only being mentioned by all those previous agents. Several minutes later, I had a policy number and temporary insurance cards via e-mail.
I'd recommend this company to anyone. The price was great as well.
Les Reiselt
LesReiselt is offline   Reply With Quote