Thread: top kick
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Bob86ZZ4

I think you might find a full class 8 truck might not be as expensive as you'd think. Now, if you could go class 8 for not much over a 5/6 (I think that's about where a 5500 or 6500 Topkick would class, isn't it?) you would get huge advantages. Obviously bigger motor, torque, h/p. Transmission is another huge advantage. More gears is better. Brakes are in a different catagory completely. Air is just so so so much better than hydraulic. You can't boil air brakes. The brakes are going to be much bigger and more capable too. Now, I think your service options are going to be more available than the smaller truck too, aren't they? I don't know, Blizz, will all the truck centers work on your truck? Certainly I think we can all agree that a Topkick/Kodiak is a huge advantage over say an F350/3500 p/u. It's just that if you can score a full semi tractor for close to the bucks, it might be worth shopping for one. A friend of mine has about a 2000 Volvo 730 truck that he bought for $15k, DD series 60 12.7 motor, 1st Gen Autoshift 10 speed, huge sleeper, and it already had a nice deck on the back with a drom box. There is a concern tho that you might have some licensing issues, both veh. registration and operators d.l. The Kodiak/Topkicks are under 26k lbs and that keeps you in the "regular" driver's license class in most states.

Yes, like I said, that $2k sounds like a great deal to me. And it would kick behind over a F350/3500 p/u that's for sure.