View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
Highway OPie

Default Cost of box, etc.

Hi Hot Rod:

To answer your question immediately; around $12M by the time all the work was done.

Went to my local Morgan dealer here in Grand Rapids, and ordered it through them. One nice thing about buying a new box is you get it exactly the way you want it not buying it off a lot where you have to take it the way it comes. Base price was around $8M, but then we added:

1> Sealed hardwood floor; bolt holes were plugged and the floor was rough sanded.

2> Bright stainless where ever we could get it; front radius corners; rear frame opening; along each side at the lower edge.

3> Stainless black painted revits throughout to match the color of the box.

4> LED lighting and rear mounted white emergency strobe lights.

5> Two 48" and one 24" rail mounted stainless tool boxes (our "basement").

6> Folding aluminum side steps.

7> The box was ordered with no rear overhead door. The dealer "built" the rear wall and installed the windows I provided. Said it was cheaper than having the Morgan factory to it. Who knows!

8> Installation of the side door which I provided.

9> The box was installed and positioned exactly where I wanted it; I was there to direct the placement.

10> Fabrication of a rear (ICC bar) "bumper" and very heavy duty trailer hitch.

Ordering time was 12 weeks and installation and all the other goodies took about another month. Between dropping the front drivers and having a new drive line fabricated, extending the frame rails six feet, and the installation of the box pretty much consumed all of last summer. All of this "heavy work" I elected not to do myself. Now that it is all done, everything else including the installation of the five remaining windows and finishing out the box I will do myself.

"What would I do different next time" you ask?

Well, I had fully intended to buy a used box; they are dirt cheap. The problem is finding a nice one; "most" of the boxes on the used market are really in sad shape. I know of places now which I didn't know about a year ago, and I would concentrated more on trying to find a nice used box that fit my desires. However, my wife did't really want a used box as it was going to be our "living quarters", so I said, "Okay honey, just to make you happy, I'll buy a brand new one!" Then we talked about this bridge which was for sale in Brooklyn!

Overall, I am very happy with my decision, and my progress so far. Plus, the upfitter is there and knows me, and is very helpful on other construction ideas I pass by him; so I guess it was money well spent.

Hope all this helps.

Good luck, Hot Rod.

Speed
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 695.jpg   Picture 696.jpg  
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote