View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Bob86ZZ4

My truck is pretty close to your's, Don. I often pull a 24' enclosed car trailer. Fully loaded we figure the trailer is about 8k lbs. We've never weighed the trailer. There is absolutely no way to tell the trailer is there from the driver's seat without looking in the mirrors or backup camera. The truck simply is not affected one bit by the trailer. My hitch is rated by United Specialties (the coach builder) at 40k lbs. I can't for the life of me figure how Haulmark could say you could only pull a 5k lb. trailer with that truck. I've got to take pictures of my weight stickers when I get to my truck because I wonder what I'm restricted to for gcvw. I don't remember looking for or seeing that rating. I just know my axle ratings.

Hotrod, why would the number of axles matter for the trailer weight? If say my rear axle is rated at 22,700 lbs. And with no trailer attached the rear axle scales at 16k lbs. Wouldn't that mean I could put a trailer on that has a tongue weight something like 6k lbs? Obviously that's probably too much tongue weight since the tongue should be 10% of total trailer weight, shouldn't it? So, if my hitch is rated at 40k lbs I should be able to put a 40k lb. trailer on that would only have a 4k lb. tongue? Maybe I'm totally wrong here? I can't get to my camper for about a week to check the door stickers. At least now I'm subscribed to this thread.