View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
Highway OPie

Default Walk Around

Nice chat regardng steps.

Regarding automatic fold-up feature, that's a good idea, but I am of the school that says keep things simple. Automatically retracting steps would just add more electrical and air stuff to fail. But, I too am concerned about "pulling away with the steps down."

So, since I have started my conversion about two years ago, before driving my truck I am trying to get into the habit of doing a thorough "walk-around" before leaving. This is a good safety practice; check tires, lights, listen for air leaks, etc., etc., and check to make sure the steps are up!

I place a round platic container upsidedown over the gearshift when I arrive at my location. When ready to leave, it doesn't get removed until I do my walk-around. If I jump into the cab and intend to leave immediately, I go for the shifter and instead grab the plastic container; I remind myself its time to walk-around and be safe!

I have never left with the stairs down, yet!
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote