View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
sbphoto

Default Good information

Warpath,

Thanks for the comments. This is the sort of stuff I need to know; I don't have much experience with motorhomes and none (yet) with truck conversions. Your comments about useful power and fuel efficiency are just what I need. My wife and I won't be "full timers". We use the motorhome for short trips around the South Western Unites States or up the pacific coast...and, for travel back and forth between a cabin in Montana and home in Southern California.

We only need to sleep the two of us and two mid sized dogs. MPG is a consideration given fuel costs. Most importantly, We want safety. Our present rig is unstable in cross winds and does not have adequate braking power. When we bought it neither of us knew what was important. What we did buy has all the interior features one would look for but insulation is inadequate, the suspension is sloppy, it is underpowered, and the brakes are less than they should be. It is time to do better, but how without spending a fortune?

After much looking around, I am considering converting a medium duty truck. One with air brakes, air suspension, a Jake brake, and a good cab. Most of the time we won't tow anything and when we do, it will not be heavy. Do you think 250-275 HP is adequate (I don't remember torque figures even though I know that is at least as important). We are hoping to get 14-15 MPG with a type-C setup on a straight truck, having approximately 22 feet of coach behind the cab.

Comments? Does this make sense?

Thank you.
sbphoto is offline   Reply With Quote