Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
hot rod

Hyderbound- The only propane tank size limit I am aware of is for DOT cylinders (BBQ tanks) and on an RV you can have a max of 3 cylinders with a max of 35# capacity each. That would be for the removable cylinders. A permanently mounted ASME tank like you have there, which is used for engine fuel or for the coach has no size limit that I am aware of. As long as it is permanently attached to the chassis it is exempt from any HazMat placarding. The only thing you need is for the compartment door to be labeled. I am not sure if it is a law or not, but you certainly do not want the compartment to be locked. In case of a crash, emergency personnel need to be able to access the tank to shut it off, and also if you had a gas leak in the campground you would want anyone to be able to shut off the valve. Also, if you are using propane for engine fuel, there is a black reflective diamond decal that has to go on the rear of the vehicle. Just be sure the tank you are going to use is designed for use on a vehicle, and is not a stationary tank. They do make vehicle tanks that large, but they are not common. A vehicle tank has internal automatic shutoff valves inside every tank opening. For example if you are in crash and a valve is damaged or sheared off the internal shutoff keeps the propane in the tank. Stationary tanks do not have those. Also, vehicle tanks may have both vapor and liquid withdrawal valves, or plugged openings for both. Engine fuel would use the liquid valve, coach uses like the furnace would use vapor, and most generators would also use vapor although some larger units may use liquid, refer to your generator instructions for that. The opening would be labeled liquid or vapor, and stamped into the tank below the opening. Do not mix those up, sending liquid to a vapor appliance in dangerous.

Good luck with the project.

Dave
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote