View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
hot rod

We had a 3/4" air impact we used on those, but I have also seen semi guys use a 1" impact. Are you planning on carrying a breaker bar to go with it? I'm thinking a 3/4 breaker bar is probably the most cost effective (Harbor Freight, etc.) along with a cheater pipe that can double for a hand held security system in a pinch. If you really can't decide on the socket, get the 1" and a reducer to 3/4", that covers all possibilities.

Are you planning on carrying a mounted spare, or just relying on a tire service? Even if you are going to use a service to change the tires and don't want to carry a full mounted spare, consider at least a spare tire tire without a wheel as a minimum. If you are counting on the tire service to supply the new tire they can be very pricey and you are stuck with whatever brand and tread they have in stock. I know a lot of RV types carry a loose matching spare at least that way when the road service has to come you are still going to have matching tires on the truck. I don't know what your outside storage is like, but maybe a cable winch like they use on the chevy pickups could be adapted to crank it up underneath ahead of the rear bumper. Just thinking out loud.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote