View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Ran D. St. Clair

I used the Dicor self leveling lap sealer on my truck. It worked fine and I have no complaints but it doesn't really sound like what you are talking about. It is fairly thick, similar to heavy mayonaise (in a cool location) so it doesn't flow out like a big puddle. It is also grey, or white, or black, but I don't think it comes in clear. I suspect that the color is an important part of the UV resistance. It comes in a tube for use in a caulking gun, at least that is how I used it. You might be able to find it by the gallon, I don't know.

As I recall the Dicor is meant for use on rubber roofs, but also works ok on aluminum (which is how I used it). Supposedly there are better choices on aluminum though I can't speak to that from personal experience. I am not sure it would save you any labor over what you have used before though.

If you read back through this forum you will find many strong opinions on the best materials to use for this sort of thing. Geofkey in particular has some strong recommendations. I vaguely recall he liked the Sikaflex products, but my memory is hazy so don't take my word for it. I think you can find his posts on the subject in my Stealth Camper Build Thread, as well as other locations.

Buy Sika Sikaflex Polyurethane Sealants

I also know that Eternabond tape used and highly thought of. The only knock against it that I recall is that it is really hard to get off if you ever want to. I know it is often used as a repair material, though I gather it is also good for new construction. Mind you, I have never used it myself.

Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond

I have heard strong recommendations against silicone caulking of various sorts. Mostly because nothing but silicone will ever stick to a surface once silicone has been used. Presumably that isn't true if you clean it off mechanically, but I am just passing the information along, not confirming it.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote