View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
dgorila1

Smile Cost to build a custom trailer?

OK, I want to get everyones estimate on what it would cost to build out a commercial double drop deck moving trailer into a comfortable Rv for weekend use and eventual full timing. Disregard the cost of the trailer, and assume I will be doing all of the labor myself since I have the skills and contacts for those jobs that may require extra specialization.
I know the price can vary wildly based on materials and layouts, so assume no slideouts for the initial build since these trailers are huge to begin with. Also assume most items will be purchased from Home Depot. etc where possible (Cabinets, plumbing, etc). RV specific items such as windows can be purchased off the net or surplus dealers. Also assume a modest design, no high dollar appliances or items. 2 bedrooms or 1 master and bunks for the kids, 1-2 baths depending on trailer size, average kitchen and living room area using comfortable house furniture where possible. I may possibly build a small storage room/garage at the back where the rear opening is for carrying bicycles, tools, kayaks, etc. The side door opening will be framed up for the entry door and skinned to match the existing exterior. Walls will be framed out so wiring can be run and the trailer insulated (spray foam most likely) for cold weather use. The mater bedroom will most likely be at the front of the trailer to take advantage of the ability to install windows on 3 sides for lots of light/views. Lighting (interior and exterior) will be 12V LED if possible to reduce electrical demands and improve overall bulb life. Bathroom fixtures will be common house/industrial type, not RV since I want comfort, durability and the ability to get parts or replace items anywhere there is a hardware store. The huge size of the trailer should allow for these with no problem. I want to build custom because I can design and build it exactly like we want/need, which is key to enjoyment.

I'm looking for some general estimates based on everyones past/current experience so I can plan my budget and get started as soon as possible.

I don't want to wait years and then reflect on "what could have been" or miss out on the many weekends of camping over the years with the family.

I don't want a factory RV for a multitude of reasons, the basics being they are cheaply built, have small, inferior components and fixtures, and are not designed or comfortable for my size (I'm a big boned/husk/whole lotta man guy). 6'4" and 265lbs just doesn't fit comfortably in a factory RV......I've tried many and have yet to find one I'm comfortable in. All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As a side note, work is going to finally send me to learn AutoCad software (Solidworks), which I will use on a frequent basis. Once I get into it I hope to use this to lay out the design. My biggest hurdle is finding the measurements from a trailer, but I'll keep looking around for one I can get into one day to take some basic measurements for the shell. If anyone has or knows of any plans for these trailers on the web please let me know since it will make design that much easier. I'll post my design work once I get started.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote