View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
hot rod

Eskimo-

Yeah, everything back in my day was model E and 425. And that sure is perfect for your crawler, dry fuel into the engine, no float bowls, it would literally run upside down if it had too. (well, at least until the oil ran into the top end, lol) My favorite motor was my 427 big block in my daily driver street pickup. 13:1 compression, way too big of a cam, tunnel ram w/ dual 425's and dual model e's. 46 to 48 degrees total timing. ran smooth as glass, idle in traffic and 12.0's at the track in a full size long bed truck with no lightening and street tires. And that was back in the day when a 12 second street car was fast. Compression and ignition timing (and curve) are the secrets to making power. I'm still a little suspicious of the liquid injection on this truck, we used to figure a drop of liquid in the cylinder meant a shattered valve, but apparently they have worked that out, must vaporize right at the nozzle. It uses what has the appearance of a racing type billet fuel rail with special injectors that look similar to a gas injector, and an internal fuel pump in the tank. Schwann's puts millions of miles a year on them so I guess it is trouble free. We'll find out.

Here is a link to the mfgs website:
Bi-Phase Technologies - Using Propane for Alternative Fuel
they are now owned by schwann's

I'm doubting my top kick is going to fit your buddy's dyno, but I would sure be interested as well. Back in my day it was all trial and error with the timing and advance curve in the distributor, I think you could really optimize the fuel with todays computer reprogrammers if you took the time to experiment.

Dave
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote