View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
blizzardND

Question

I think there are 2 routes to this hobby,

One like mine and many of the others with commercial T/C's. Guys that buy or build our RV's to travel cross country and spend time with wive and children, most of us have been down the standard RV motor home route and found their quality, power and design lacking; so we invest in a project or purchase a T/C to meet those needs with as much attention to detail and creature comforts as a commercial RV.

The flip side, guys like Mekanic just wants a fun cheap project to camp locally, and maybe tow a race car to the track, or dune-buggy to the sand and have a place to sleep in comfort when the day is over. They require nothing fancy, and are ok with the "look". Because they fit in with the others that are out racing, dune-bugging or motorcycling with them. I fact the toughness of their truck look might even be a added bonus.

Different stroke for different folks, both have pluses and minuses.

I just get concerned when I see someone mentioning that they are going to buy a wore out foundation in the form of a beat up U-haul, to build an expensive project atop it. winding up with a 30K RV that they could have just bought from RJ for 15.

More than one guy has mentioned my build as their "inspiration" or something to that effect, while I'm flattered, I don't think that is warranted, I'm just a guy that started a project with a plan, and a budget, then blew the budget all to hell. and I feel that once I've recovered from the poison ivy patch it should be my job to warn others of the leafy weed.

Its all fun...
-blizz