View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
hot rod

Default just getting started on toterhome project...

Hello all-

We are just getting started on a toterhome project based on a 2003 GMC topkick cab/chassis to pull our fifth wheel/gooseneck trailer. It's going to be a "renegade" type toter with the bunk over the cab, and the rear fifth wheel hitch. I have been going over the forums for ideas trying to get all my ducks in a row before firing up the 'ol welder.

My first dilemma I have been brainstorming is joining the cab to the box. My ultimate goal would be to have both the roof and cab cutout so we can pretty much just stand up out of the seats and walk back, as opposed to just a square cutout you practically have to crawl through. My concern here is the possible movement between the cab and the box. I saw the info on this site for a supplier for a rubber boot, but that does not seem to be a good option to wrap up over the cab roof and all. I would just weld the cab solid to the box, but I am concerned over stress at that point as the cab is on rubber mounts, and the box would be bolted solid to the chassis.

Any thoughts on that issue? Just one of the many things I want a definite plan for before I start cutting up square tubing and welding it together.

Also, trying to figure out sizing and placement for fresh water and black/gray tanks. There are 2 of us, that stay in the unit mostly long weekends dry camping at the racetrack or fairgrounds, but occasionally for a week or more in a campground with hookups. Is there any reason why the gray and black tanks can't be combined, as long as it is big enough? Also a good source for tanks?

Thanks in advance for any help.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote