View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
Sledgehamer Motorsports

I have been dreaming for years of owning a toterhome for my racing operation. I have lots of questions and will ask over time. I am am not made of gold and all my yard has is pine trees no money trees. I currently have a 1999 Chevy Crewcab Dually, Vortec 350, Automatic with OD, 4.10 gears. I have a 1999 32ft tag Pace American Bigfoot GT tri-axle enclosed trailer that I tow. The dually does great on the road...gets about 10 - 11mpg (depending on my heavy right foot it gets worse). I don't have a sway kit or load levelers on my tow setup yet. I have not been racing much in the past 3 years. I am looking to hit the road pretty hard this season though. I have been very happy with the handling and overall drivability of the rig. I even had my girlfriend (who never towed anything before) tow for her first time last season. LOL...I actally like the truck ride better with the trailer hooked up than I do just driving around everyday getting my kidney beat out of me.

I have some limited seat time in dump trucks and a KW road tractor. I also currently own a 29ft Winnebago Custom Class A RV, that I don't use to tow with since it is TOO UNDERPOWERED for the trailer.

I am a big guy (6'6" and 340lbs) and need my space (LOL). So I also have needs for a larger than standard RV bed, shower, etc. I looked at enclosed trailers with living quarters..and I could not get my shoulders through the bathroom door let alone get in the thing they called a shower.

I am very handy with my hands and resouceful when it comes to saving money. I am looking at getting a chassis (which one I don't know...but I did learn about cabovers from reading the forum today). I am now looking at conventionals and I am open minded from there. I don't have a bunch of money to spend on the chassis at this time. I will probably repair the leaking seal around the AC Units in the Winnebago and sell it to bankroll this effort.

I currently have a 32ft x 42ft garage behind the house with a 9x7 door and a 10x10.5 door opening. What do you all use for storage of your vehicles. My garage is 12.5ft to the truss so if I need to raise the opening a little I have some wiggle room. I am considering building a outrigging off the one side of my garage to park the tow rig to keep it out of the direct weather.

I have seen those canvas-tubular shelters. How are they with the wind, etc?

This is enough for now.....sorry for being so long winded. I am happy I found this forum and group.

Thanks,

-Eric-
2FastDesignz.com / Sledgehammer Motorsports

Sledgehamer Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote