View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
Bob E

How long you stretch the truck frame kinda depends on your floor plan. The black water tank needs to be under the toilet unless you use one of those marine systems with a macerator pump. This is a major consideration,...along with weight. Axles need to be almost under the (rear) bedroom area not under the bathroom (as with most common floor plans). Also, are you planning to tow a large trailer? Think in terms of a tandem axle if you are.
The motorhome electrical can be designed with solar panels & inverter, however, the initial cost isn't cheap.
I'm using a 24v Trace modified sine inverter- charger that will pump out 3600 watts of 120 vac. It has a 3 stage smart-charger built in, that will recharge the house batteries when connected to shore power or generator. I'm using L-16 batteries (same as used in shopping mall sweeper machines), they have aprox 1/8" thick plates & hold up well under repeated discharge/recharge cycles. Also have 4 - 100 watt (ea) solar panels that produce a nominal 7 amps (ea) in direct sun. Then, for backup purposes, I'm running a 2nd 24v alternator off of the truck engine.
For 12v "house" components, I've installed a 100 amp Vanner voltage equalizer the connects to the 24v battery bank & allows for a balanced 12v output.
Now for the cost: 100 watt solar panels - aprox $500 each, controller $150, 3600 watt Trace inverter/charger with remote $1500, (4) L-16 batteries $140 ea, 24v alternator & custom fabricated mount bracket - aprox $350, 200 amp master cut-off switch $75.
As I mentioned, these systems are expensive and add some complication to the electrical system however, 24vdc is much more efficient than 12vdc.
We decided to bite the bullet & spend the $ as we enjoy dry camping in SW Az for a couple months in the Winter, (no camping fees in a lot of areas). Also,...we rarely pull into a camp ground when traveling point to point (a truck stop or Wallmart does just fine) so,...I figure there is a payback of $15 to $25 a night!
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote