View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 09:09 AM   #9
Warpath

I think the one thing we need to keep an eye on is road stability. While I was at the RVIA show I found myself in a conversation with Detroit Chassis which builds chassis for the pusher market. They where interested in finding out why truck conversions seem to have more stability than a pusher. They are running the same frame rails as a Class 8, but still here about road stability issues. Obviously the big difference is the front end shape, but they are thinking that the above frame structure makes a even bigger difference. With most pushers now having 4 slides the limited above frame structure allows for more flex in the chassis rails enhancing instability. So as converters start to add larger and more slides are we going to see the same drop in stability.

The main reason I went to a conversion was road stability. My 2003 was absolutely incredible in some of the fiercest weather I have ever traveled in. Actually, on one trip back into Ohio from Florida in Feb 03 we ran on road where we saw cars & trucks everywhere but on the road and never once did I feel I should pull over. We actually stopped into a rest area where there where a bunch of Class A's sitting the weather out and I just smiled to myself.

Just hope as the industry evolves they don't ruin the real reason to own a conversion.

Bill