View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
Walt

Howdy guys,

I've got a 1995 Ford F-800 with a 24' box I've converted into a motorhome. I'm not sure what this truck was in it's former life, but it's geared pretty low. It has a Cummins 5.9L and 6-speed transmission with a 2-speed rear end, for a total of 12 gears. The thing is, I've never had a need to use the low gear, and even in high gear, 1st gear is pretty much unnecessary -- I almost always start in 2nd / high gear with no problem. Unfortunately, to cruise at 65 MPH, the engine is pretty close to topped out at 2500 RPM, and top speed on level ground is about 70 with the pedal on the floor.

So, here's my question -- how feasible would it be to swap out the low gear in the rear end for a "really high" gear? Maybe something a half-gear higher than the current high, so 1st wouldn't be quite so low, and 6th would be a little higher? Any ideas how much something like that might cost? It seems like if it wasn't too outrageously expensive, the swap might be cost-effective in terms of reducing engine wear and reducing fuel costs, no? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Walter
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote