View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
HD_RIDER

Has anyone here had experience with registering a conversion unit in Indiana? An e-mail inquiry to Indiana DOT went unanswered, as did one to the BMV web site. I was at a local branch today for another matter and tried to get some answers while I was there, but no one there seemed to know much about the idea of converting a HDT to RV status. They understood a body modification, and changing from commercial to private, but didn't seem to think "RV" would apply to the towing unit, only the trailer. I told them that as a CDL holder, I wasn't trying to avoid regulations, but didn't want to be subject to commercial regulations that shouldn't apply. They handed me a publication that covered commercial regulations, seemed to think that was what I needed. What I'm seeking is a guideline of what has to be done in this state to be exempt from commercial DOT regulations. The trailer sales seemed to think removing the commercial 5'th wheel and putting "not for hire" on the doors is all that is needed. I don't want a self-contained camping unit pulling my trailer, if I can avoid all that. At this point, a twin screw with one axle lopped off, proper 5'th wheel and brakes is all I want to modify. I'm still in the planning stages, but need to know what the minimum requirements will be. Obviously, it will make a big difference right from the beginning. Any suggestions??
NRA Life Member
https://community.webshots.com/user/hd_rider1992
HD_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote