View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM   #1
Matt Merrill

I need a little help selecting a suitable used motorhome. I do not have easy access to the internet or telephone since I'm deployed to Iraq so I'm looking for a comprehensive guide or resource that compares all of the manufacturers.

I originally started out thinking about Diesel Class A's but was told that they weren't quite up to the task. Thats when I stumbled on truck conversions and so far I like what I see in regards to towing / handling / braking abilities and overall sturdiness.

My primary need is to be able to reliably tow up to a 35-foot 20,000 lb (total) tag trailer for long distances and up and down some pretty steep grades in and around California / Arizona / Nevada. At this time I am interested in staying with a tag trailer and not going to a fifth wheel.

The motorhome would need to have the room and amenities (full size bed, generator, heat/ac, kitchen, full shower, etc) to live aboard for a week or two at a time. This does not mean that I need granite counter tops, high quality wood floors, etc. I would actually like to avoid this to keep the cost down.

So what I'm looking for is some sort of guide or reference manual that lists all of the motorhome manufacturers and their chassis along with things like:

Tow ratings
Hitch ratings
Max combined payload
Engines / transmissions / axles offered on their different models

Thanks in advance

Matt
Matt Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote