View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
TransportDesigns

Delamination of fiberglass from the substrate is a problem that has occurred ever since the product was developed and used extensively in the early 90's. Back then you'd se 40% (or more) of the semi trailers on the road using this design for their sidewalls. You'll notice it isn't used any longer and these semis have vanished (You might check the Smithsonian for an example!). It's the product used that is the problem. Typically it starts around a window or door area, but it could happen anywhere moisture intrudes. The only fix I've seen is having aluminum fastened over top of it. A customer of mine had a fifth wheel travel trailer made of FRP that he brought in for us to do some interior fabrication. I asked what it was that was on the exterior and he stated for something like $12,000 the factory installed aluminum over the delaminating fiberglass. I believe he said the trailer was 3 years old at the time.

Holes in the roofing can be repaired by removing the old roofing and installing seamless aluminum or a rubber roof. The former can be done by someone with decent construction skills, although the removal will be the hard part as the adhesive - used properly - really holds fast. The rubber is a bit technical and is better left for professionals. You definitely want to remove the galvanized though.

Steve
TransportDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote