View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
BravestDog

Sorry to bother all of you again, but more questions as usual.

I just found this Volvo 770 on ebay with a 10 speed auto shift transmission. Most trucks I see have manual transmissions.

1. My question is, what determines what type of transmission a truck gets when it is ordered or used? Auto or manual?

2. Is there a variety of automatics and manual transmissions available or is there just a few choices?

3. What determines whether a truck gets an automatic or a manual transmission and what type they get? Are there some applications where a auto is better than a manual and vice versa?

4. What is the price and life span difference between the two?

5. If you wanted a truck with an automatic for a conversion, so anyone could drive it, should a person purchase a truck with an automatic from the beginning or can you switch transmissions later..., or would that be a foolish, expensive error, to purchase a truck with a manual and then switch to an auto?

Generalizations and estimates are fine. Just trying to get a big picture idea.

I could understand if a truck is carrying maximum loads up and down mountain roads, that a many speed transmission would be a good idea to keep the motor in its proper power range...

Thankyou.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote